Provide safe condition to all your cargo and passenger ships over the tonnage of 500 or above by MLC Certification in India.
What is MLC Certification?
Maritime Labour convention certification was implemented by the International Labour Organization (ILO) for the protection of the seafarers. The MLC came into force internationally on the 20th August 2013 after receiving the minimum requirement for the Maritime Labour Convention (MLC), 2006; to ensure seafarers’ protection at work. This standard aims to provide decent living and working conditions on commercially operated vessels.
With Maritime Labour Convention MLC Certification living conditions onboard ships and onshore, working environment, employment conditions, and health and medical protection got improved. Therefore, it aims for working conditions as an effective tool for quality shipping to seafarers, ships, or ship owners. MLC standard is not only for the seafarers but it brings several benefits for the government as well. The Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) once implemented would ensure seafarers’ basic rights are availed.
A Maritime Labour Certificate (MLC) Certification and a Declaration of Maritime Labour Compliance (DMLC) ensures compliance with the Convention for all ships above 500 tons in international trade as a mandatory requirement. DMLC means a declaration summarising the national laws or regulations implementing an agreed-upon the listed countries. As a result of this comprehensive set of maritime labor rights would substantially improve, making shipping a genuinely global industry.
Benefits of MLC Certification
- Builds strong relationships between customers and workers
- Promotes collaborative work
- Better working conditions for seafarers.
- Socially responsible shipping industry for the working conditions and health care facilities
- Compliance with regulation and law
- Increased awareness of seafarer’s rights.
- Less labor turnover
- Increased reputation
Requirements of MLC Certification
The MLC is often referred to as “The Seafarer’s Bill of Rights” and defines the requirements and a condition for the employment consists of five titles:
- A minimum requirement for seafarers includes Minimum Age required, Medical certificate, Training and certification, Recruitment, and placement.
- Working Conditions of the Employment includes Seafarer’s Employment Agreement, Hours of rest and hours of work, Entitlement to leave, Repatriation, Seafarer compensation for ship’s loss and, etc.
- Accommodation, food/catering facilities, and recreational facilities.
- Health Protection, Medical Care, and Social Security Protection. Compliance and Enforcement include Port State Responsibilities, Flag state responsibility, Inspection and enforcement, Labour Supplying responsibilities and, etc.
Strength of Ascent WORLD
- Ascent WORLD Is an Internationally accepted Consultancy, providing Consultancy worldwide.
- We at Ascent have more than 10+ years of extensive experience, qualified staff to help up with the standard application in your organization.
- We at Ascent provide the training and complete knowledge about the MLC standard and its implementation and importance.
- We at Ascent help you with the change in the industry strategy, regulations, and standard requirements that may impact your management system approach.
- We at Ascent provide the accurate and complete detail of the costing with no hidden charges.
- We at Ascent are available 24X7 to provide help to our clients, customers.
- Enjoy the benefits of MLC Certification today, by getting the quote for your company.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is MLC Certification obligatory?
It is obligatory in certain cases. It helps to provide equilibrium for quality ship-owners operating to ensure decent fair conditions go hand in hand with fair competition among the sea-owners and sea-farers.
Who can get MLC Certification?
Ships over 500 tonnes engaged in international voyage or the ships operating from a port or between ports in another country over or 500 GT.
How long does MLC valid for?
The cycle of the Certificate is valid for 3 years from the date of certification, subject to the successful conduct of surveillance audits before completion of the 1st & 2nd year respectively.
What is the cost Of MLC Certification in India?
The cost of MLC Certification depends on the approach you are taking and the factors internal resourcing capabilities, and as well as organization size and scope of your business.
What is the latest amendment n MLC Certification?
The 2018 amendment (to enter into force on 26 December 2020)has brought a change to seafarer employment agreements (SEAs) so that they continue to have effect and wages shall continue to be paid while a seafarer is held captive on or off the ship as a result of acts of piracy or armed robbery Against ships. This amendment also ensures the entitlement of seafarers to repatriation does not lapse if they are held captive as a result of piracy or armed robbery.