ISO 17020 Accreditation | Inspection Bodies
Achieve the highest quality for your Inspection agencies by ISO 17020 Certification in India
What is ISO 17020 Certification?
ISO/IEC 17020 conformity assessment requirements for the operation of various types of bodies have been developed to build confidence and the consistency of their inspection activities. These bodies are required to comply with their services by supervisory authorities along with harmonized Standards that are accepted by clients without a doubt.
As indicated by ISO 17020 Certification includes all activities performed by an inspection body including examining processes, procedures, and services determining their conformity and the reporting of results for the Operation to promote confidence in bodies performing the check. Inspection bodies provide conformity and the reporting of results to provide information to their private clients, parent organizations, or authority.
ISO/IEC 17020:2012 is drafted under the rules stated by ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2. ISO 17020 Accreditation is managed by IAF MRA (International Accreditation Forum Multilateral Recognition Arrangement). IAF is engaged in the development and updating of guidelines connected with accreditation activities facilitating acceptance of inspection results between countries.
On inspecting the report prepared by them is considered as the legal document. So to improve the process of inspection, in the year 1998 the inspection body got divided into categories and with amendments, in the year 2012 the inspection bodies are categorized as stipulated in Annex A, as outlined below:
Type A: An independent inspection body, which is only engaged in inspection activities (independent of the parties involved),
Type B: An inspection body providing inspections, only to which it forms a part of the organization of which the inspection body performs
Type C: An inspection body providing first-party and second-party inspections, or both, which forms an identifiable but not necessarily supplies inspection services to its parent organization or other parties, or both
Benefits of ISO 17020 Certification
Improved efficiency of inspection activities
- Enhanced level of motivation, cooperation, and competence
- Better control for maintenance of tools
- Enlarge of confidence in Inspection data
- International recognition and credibility
- Provide tips on analysis of data
- Establish confidence of customers on results
- Definite edge over competitors
- Increase in market share
- Reduction or elimination of errors
- Builds confidentiality
- Cooperation with other beneficiaries
Requirements of ISO 17020 Certification
- Inspecting bodies need to identify and fulfill the standard requirements for smooth functioning of the activities
- Analyzing the type of examination need to be conducted.
- Decide the type of assessment based on the conformity of the standard.
- Appoint the skilled and qualified personnel to conduct an inspection
- Appointing management personnel for the management system and technical personnel to analyze the technical requirements.
- Prepare and verify the inspection report thoroughly without any defects or errors.
- Analysis/ Study of the report to match the requirements of the standard.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the difference between ISO 17025 and ISO 17020?
ISO 17025 Accreditation is a standard for Testing and Calibration of Laboratories services; whereas ISO 17020 is organizations providing Inspection Services and smooth and accurate conduct and result of their activities.
Is ISO 17020 Accreditation mandatory?
ISO 17020 specifies the requirements for bodies performing inspection, in some cases by the Government, for some of the Inspection types, the certification is obligatory with the competence of the conformity of the standard.
How long does it take to acquire ISO 17020 certification?
The time period required to be ISO 17020 Accreditation depends on the nature of an organization and the following:
- Size of the Organization
- Methods being followed by the Organization (Self Developed Procedures/Methods), in providing the services-National/International Standard.
How long ISO 17020 valid?
ISO 17020 Accreditation authorized by IAF MLA is valid for 3 years from the date of accreditation award. After a year, the surveillance audit is conducted. On completion of the 3rd year, a renewal audit for certification and surveillance is conducted.
What is the cost of ISO 17020 Certification?
The costing can only be determined when we receive detailed information about your organization including the size and nature of your business, and the Procedure / Methods used for conducting Inspection services.